Monday, April 2, 2018

Jazz Apriciation Month

April is one of my favorite units.

Jazz Appreciation Month!

Jazz and Opera were the concerts I went to with my grandparents.  (And yes, I did think it was cool.)  Over the years I have enjoyed the Queen City Jazz Band, Diana Krall, Ron Miles, Miles Davis, my local jazz radio, Swing dancing in Denver, and much more.  I cant think of a style of music that is as unique and diverse as musical styles of Jazz.

To begin the month I read "Freddy The Frog and they Flying Jazz Kitten" to every class.  It comes with a read-a-long CD that has fabulous background music. There are also some fun coloring sheets online.

Then we talk about scat.  Thanks to the UWyo Faculty Jazz, and the Fabulous Dr. McKeage, I use assorted jazz prases to help students devlop guided jazz improv. "Blank Blues" is a must for practicing improv at any level  I also tie in recorder and chord structure for the older classes. This approach made teaching elmenary jazz extremely practical and approachable for this classical musician.

Choir is not left out.  I use some of the same materials from the classroom and use them for vocal warm-up time.  I also make sure I have my top 10 tips for vocal improvization posted.

I finish off the month with my favorite Dizzy Gillespie video


I have to say, I love to decorate with my assorted JAM posters, and jazz artist profiles.  The Smithsonian has more fabulous tips and you can even start your own poster collection. To learn more click on the JAM poster below.

Colorful painting featuring six musicians and text that reads "Jazz Appreciation Month 2018"

No comments:

Post a Comment